10 Movies that Were Better than the Books
I've mentioned before that I am subscribed to get an email every day from a blog called The Best Article Every Day. Sometimes they are good and other times I don't even bother to read them I just delete them (like the one about new credit card laws in the States. I don't need to read about that thankyou!).
On Tuesday, the blog post was 10 Movies that were Better than the Book and it was pretty interesting and got me thinking. Usually books are better than their movie counterparts for a number of reason, but the ones they've listed, although not having read and seen all of them, I would have to agree with most of them.
Their list was -
10. Blade Runner (Director's Cut) based on a novel by Phillip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
9. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas based on the book by Hunter S. Thompson
8. The Shining based on the book by Stephen King
7. The Last of the Mohicans based ont he novel by James Fenimore Cooper
6. The Bridges of Madison County based on the book by Robert James Waller
5. The Godfather/ Godfather Part II, based on the novel by Mario Puzo
4. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, based on the novels by J. R. R Tolkien .
3. The Maltese Falcon, based on the book by Dashiel Hammett
2. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk, and
1. American Psycho, based on Brett Easton Ellis's novel
What do you think? Do you agree with these ones? I'm totally on board with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the movie was brilliant, I did enjoy the book, but I thought the movie was definitely better. Another one I think that was better than the book was Twilight, only because it only took two hours to watch as opposed to triple that to read it...and it was an excruciating read as I've mentioned before!
As a rule though, the books are nearly always better. One book that was better than the movie, the movie of which was brilliant, is Forrest Gump. If you loved that movie you must read the book, it's fabulous and even more crazy in the things he gets up. The part in the book when he is in the army adn his punishment is to work in the kitchen, fall-off-you-seat hilarious!
What are your best and worst book-to-movie's?